Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Halloween and a Birthday!

I have been really super down in the dumps. Just not capable of thinking out a blog post that wasn't me whining for pages. So I kept my fingers busy crocheting instead of typing. But I wanted to document Halloween and our first born's birthday so I'm back at it!

Halloween is one of our favorite holidays. Halloween and Thanksgiving are tied for 2nd for me, with Christmas being #1 all day every day. I looooove Christmas. I'm one of those annoying people who start decorating in early November. See, I call it 'the Holidays' to give myself an excuse. I'm decorating for 'the Holidays', y'all! It's okay to have Christmas lights going up because there are also apples in a basket on the table and Thanksgiving-y things around.

The kids chose their costumes around September and luckily they were super easy to make and doable. Miss Thing wanted to be a ghost (ooooooh, she said) and the first born wanted to be a skeleton pirate, which I thought was super cool. So I did it! And it came out really awesome!




Al's costume was just a yard of white fleece (2.99, so cheap!) that I cut a whole in the middle of. Boom. A poncho. Smack on some black felt and it's a ghost! Could not be easier. We even dressed up Bun Bun as a ghost.

Ollie's was black pants and a black shirt and I used white duct tape to make the bones. I safety pinned an octopus to his shoulder, made him a skull mask out of the tape, bought him some pirate accessories and used some red cloth I had laying around to make him a sash and bandana. Again, this was easy and fast and came together really well. I loved it. My favorite costume of his ever, for sure. We dressed up Hot Dog the 1st grade class pet as a pirate too!

We took the kids to the art museum's Halloween party as our big Halloween outing and it was a huge hit. Such a cool place, so many craft stations and games. We loved it. Definitely going back again and again.

 

 



 
As the night went on the more Ollie's pirate stuff started to come off, haha.
 
 
It was fun times! We love Halloween.
 
We love it so much that Ollie decided he wanted a Halloween birthday party! His birthday is on Thursday but we celebrated on Sunday. I have very few photos of the event, I was a busy bee! But here are some tidbits.
 







We had spoooooky food and a spooooooky cake. Ollie had this cake planned for months. It was fun to make. He has been saying since last year that he wanted a cookie cake for his birthday so the base is all chocolate chip cookie, chocolate buttercream frosting on top, cookie tombstones, meringue cookie ghosts and a cookie fence. All cookie all the time.


 
He gets his enthusiasm from his Daddy, haha. He isn't much for being the center of attention so having a dozen people sing Happy Birthday to him is embarrassing for his poor little soul.
 
I have managed to keep it together this whole time and not cry about him turning 7. It's still nuts to me though. Seven years! How did that happen? Time really does go by so fast. In a blink. Sigh.
 
We're taking him out for a movie (Big Hero 6!) and dinner on Thursday for his actual birthday. And I know, I just know, that I will cry big sappy embarrassing Mom tears then. But he's my baby boy and I get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment