Thursday, October 10, 2013

Toddlers are Crazysauce

A Tale of a Broken Wrist

This will be a Mama post. To begin I would like to go back about 18 years to 8 year old April (that's me!) and retell the story of how I broke my first bone. Walking my Chihuahua down a hill, I tripped over him and broke my wrist. That's right. A Chihuahua caused me to break my wrist. You can laugh. It's okay. That was just the beginning of my bone breaking journey through childhood. From the age of 8 until I was 12 I broke about 8 bones and as an adult I've broken some toes and fingers but thankfully no more major bones. I have broken each wrist and ankle twice, though. Some sort of record right there. I was just a really adventurous child and I liked to try awesome things like tying a towel around my neck and attempting to fly off of our back porch. Looks like my daughter is following in my foot steps.

I give you exhibit A-


Baby girl the day she had her splint put on, which was last Friday. The story of how it happened is actually quite dramatic! Thursday night she and her big brother were playing and she managed to fall incredibly hard. A boom that shook the house. My first concern was that she had hit her head and then I realized she wasn't using her left arm at all, she wouldn't even raise it. Now, my child is a tantrum thrower but a crier she is not. She is tough as nails and so when she was sobbing for 20 minutes without pause, I knew something was up. She was also acting a little dizzy and then suddenly she was nodding off. My brain jumped to concussion and I called 911 in a very calm panic (parents will know what I mean!). The paramedics were actually not very nice but I won't get into that so much. I'll just say they made me feel like I worried for nothing and then told me she couldn't possibly have a broken arm or concussion and she was fine and then rushed off to what seemed to be a more exciting call. I considered them medical professionals and took that advice but my gut was telling me something was wrong. She was acting fine again but she still wouldn't use her arm and I just knew that it was broken.

Long story short, Miss Alice saw the pediatrician first thing the next morning and yep! A hairline fracture and a break in her left wrist. Both aligned perfectly and only needing a cast to be put on. So for the weekend she was at home with a splint of bright green, which she said is her favorite color. She was immediately back to her shenanigans. Climbing on top of couches and jumping, trying to tightrope walk across every piece of furniture and surf on every table. She got along quite well with the splint. It wasn't going to keep her from doing what 2 year olds do! She is a very fierce lady.


She even insisted on putting her own shoes on.


And going to the park and sliding on every slide.

Monday she was able to get a cast and she chose dinosaurs because she is gnarly like that. She sat like a total angel and didn't even blink while the cast was put on although she did give the stink eye to the doctor the whole time. She liked the end result though-



She is now showing off her dinosaurs to everyone.

So that is the long and scary tale of the broken wrist, but it has a happy dino clad ending. I do foresee a few more broken bones in our future. Two and a half and already 2 broken bones. She's hitting those milestones so early. *sniffle*

No comments:

Post a Comment