Monday, November 11, 2013

DIY- Paint Stirrer Wall Art

Something to know about me is that I am a frugal lady. I don't like to spend a ton on anything and I like to DIY if possible, which generally turns out to be cheaper for me.

This weekend I set out to make some cute stuff for our kids rooms. We just bought this house in March and moved into it at the end of June so it's still very much a work in progress and most of our efforts have been about painting and home improvement projects (ripping up crappy old tile, fixing floors, dry walling, replacing ceilings, etc) so not much of my time has gone into art or prettifying anything but that has changed now!

I decided to be a cheapskate and spend as little as possible on my projects, which turned out to be zero dollars. I picked up some paint color cards and paint stirrers for free at the home improvement store while we were in there and this is what I did with them-

First, I laid them out flat and straight


And then glued those together with a thin line of hot glue down each length (but not in the little dipped handle section). There is probably a better way of doing this that is sturdier but since this is going right up on the wall, I'm not terribly worried


All glued together and flipped over. I then took 2 soda can tabs and placed them about an inch and a half from either side, to be used to hang it on the wall. I glue these down.

Here's a closeup-


Then I thought up a word! I was also thinking of images I might like (a bunny came to mind) but I decided on 'wonder' after my husband suggested 'wonderful'. It seemed like the perfect word for my girl.

I sketched it in pencil first.



And then chose a paint (a pretty pop of turquoise that I already had laying around) and painted over that.



Ta-da! Whimsical, pretty wall art for zero monies, assuming you have some glue and spare paint. Not too shabby! I haven't hung it yet because I want it to be part of a collage.

Those paint cards I got? I used those to make garlands for the kids beds. I simply made a stencil of a shape (heart for Al and star for Ollie) and then traced that onto the back of the paint sample cards, cut them out and glued them to a length of thin rope we had lying around. You could use twine, hemp, ribbon, yarn, string, anything! So again, zero monies spent! And if you had a big shaped paper cutter it would be even faster and easier.

Here are the garlands-






So that was my little weekend side project! I hope you've been up to something fabulous as well. Have a blessed day.









No comments:

Post a Comment