Monday, March 14, 2016

20ish Bookish Facts About Me

1. I prefer paperbacks to hard cover. I just love the pliability and feel of a paperback and the lighter weight really helps when carrying it around in my bag.
2. The first book I ever bought with 'my own money' was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets when I was 12 or 13. I found 5 dollars in a parking lot and ran back inside the store we'd just left to buy it.
3. My homeschool teacher found out that I was reading the 2nd HP book and had never read the first so she bought it for me and had me start all over.
4. That teacher, who is also my mentor and friend to this day, is 1000% responsible for me picking up a very good reading habit as a teen.
5. My favorite book for a very long time was The Hobbit.
6. It isn't anymore. In fact, I can't choose a favorite book. Depending on my mood and the time of year and what I've read recently, different books always come to mind first.
7. When I'm reading during my free time with no one around I always turn on some sort of classical or jazz playlist and turn the volume on low. I enjoy that background noise.
8. I dog ear books. :/ Womp womp. I know this is severely frowned upon. I really plan on stopping. I just lose bookmarks so easilyyyy.
9. I am very cheap about buying books. I almost always buy 2nd hand. This has become harder for me recently because I LOVE LOVE LOVE that feel of a brand spanking new book. That buttery, never held before feeling. But books are expensive, yo.
10. My book shelves are currently organized by color.
11. All of my children's books are on different bookcases and they aren't super organized except by, like, type. Like, board books on one shelf, Little Golden books, tall books, chapter books, etc.
12. The book I've read the most is probably.... any of the first 4 Harry Potter books. I've read a few other books twice but never more than that.
13. I read to my siblings out loud a lot. That's how I've managed to read HP so many times, actually. I read each of them to my siblings individually as well as reading them on my own a couple of times. And now I get to read them all over again with MY kids.
14. My parents are not 'bookish' people. My dad has read a bit but my mom hates reading, books, libraries and anything to do with literature. For real. I don't know where my love of reading really came from. I have just always loved books.
15. The first (and only) signed book I've ever received was As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes. My husband bought it for me for my birthday last year and I flipped the flip out.
16. I've only been to one midnight book release and it was for the last Harry Potter book. It was fun as hizell. I took my siblings, who were 12 and 14 at the time, and we were sorted into houses and got to play games and all that jazz.
17. I only read my first audio book last year. It's still a new thing for me. I don't have a lot of opportunity for audio books, what with having very loud children running around me at all times.
18. I used to read several books at once. I had a car book that was in the car, my bag book that I took everywhere, my book beside the bed that I read at night or when I first woke up in the morning. Now I have to chill out with all of that and I try to not be reading one book (on my own, not counting chapter books read aloud to my kids) at a time.
19. I have only read maybe 3 e-books. I should definitely invest in an e-reader of some sort because it would be great to not have SO MANY BOOKS but the honest truth is... I love physical copies of books. They are my drug of choice. I love having them on my shelves and feeling them and smelling them and generally being a creepy asshole with them.
20. I love book covers and I will 100% buy a book based on its cover. No shame.
21. I am still really sad that I didn't go to Hogwarts and I'm not a witch.
22. My top 5 favorite books read in the past year are- The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey, Wonder by R.J.Palacio, The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, The BFG by Roald Dahl, and Me Before You by JoJo Moyes.
23. I spoiled the entire ending of The Hunger Games trilogy for my sister. I thought she had read the last book and let slip that whole big thing that happens (YOU KNOW) and... yeah. Whoops. I still feel awful, 4 years later.
24. I generally don't read the premise of a book other than like the basics. I don't like to read too much about what something is about because I like going into it with mystery. Plus I am SUPER weird about spoilers but after that thing with my sister can you blame me.
25. Dumbledore dying in HP was spoiled for me by an acquaintance. Had it been in person and not over the internet, heads would have been rolling.
26. I never watch the movie before reading the book. I think plenty of movies based on books are amazing. It's not that I am a prude about it. I just prefer reading and immersing myself in a story through books before watching it on the screen.
27. I almost always read a book before making a purchase. I'll usually borrow it from a friend or from the library and then add it to my 'to buy' list if I love it.
28. Exceptions to the above mostly involve series. If I know I enjoy a series I will usually buy the next book in it without reading it first.


And that's 20(ish) bookish facts you might not have known about me but now do.

No comments:

Post a Comment