Monday, November 30, 2015

November Reads

It's hard to believe that December is upon us already. The next time I blink it will be 2016!

Unfortunately November was kind of a bust for reading. I started a few books but have yet to finish them. I'm currently reading The Night Circus and The Distant Hours and really love them both but I've just been focused more on holiday stuff and crocheting Christmas gifts. I did finish one book for myself though and a couple with the kids.


Not My Father's Son (Alan Cumming)- This isn't a light hearted celebrity read. Cumming's reflects back on his abusive father and the torrential relationship they shared over the course of his life. I wanted a great audio book and this was a GREAT audio book. Cummings reads it himself and that voice is golden. I have a lot of feelings about this book. I thought it was gorgeous and heart breaking and uplifting. Even the cover is gorgeous. Like, that is a beautiful book cover right there. 10/10 would recommend.


Into the Land of the Unicorns (Bruce Coville)- This was my first chapter book with Miss Mae and it was a hit. She called it 'the pony book' and loved it. I remember reading this as a kid and loving it so much. I never knew it was a series! I am planning on reading the rest of them.


Gregor the Overlander (Suzanne Collins)- While waiting for the next Percy Jackson to come in through the library, Ollie and I started this one. I'd say for an 8 year old boy it was pretty slow going at first. But once the action picked up (after a few chapters) he was all about it. It was a little more bloody and sad than I had remembered from my own childhood but not over the top. He really liked it. I don't know if we'll continue on with the series just yet (especially since we are now reading the next Percy Jackson) but possibly in the future.

That's it for us this month. Alice and I did read a couple of early reader chapter books but I'll save that for its own special post in the future.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment