Tuesday, March 3, 2015

February Reads

February was a good reading month. A lot of old favorites. And golly, I sure do love and appreciate libraries. I've been using the hell out of all 3 of our regulars.

My reading this month-


 
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)
 
In Harry's second year at Hogwarts, someone- or something- starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Harry's muggle born hating rival, Draco Malfoy? Loveable Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or the one that everyone at Hogwarts seems to most suspect- Harry himself.
 
I'm so happy to be back in the Potterverse. It has been years since I've read them (although back when I was a teen I read each of them at least 3 or 4 times between reading them myself and reading them aloud to my siblings). I feel like I am enjoy diving back into this world more than I even imagined I would. Chamber is a good one but I'm excited for Prisoner of Azkaban because it's my very favorite.

 
The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
 
The post-apocalyptic North American nation of Panem is a country that consists of a wealthy Capitol region surrounded by 12 poorer districts. A rebellion led by a 13th district against the Capitol years ago resulted in its destruction and the creation of an annual televised event known as the Hunger Games. In punishment, and as a reminder of the power and grace of the Capitol, each district must yield one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 through a lottery system to participate in the games. The 'tributes' are chosen during the annual Reaping and are forced to fight to the death, leaving only one survivor as victor. The story follows 16 year old Katniss, who volunteers for the Games after her relative is chosen as District 12's female tribute.

Another re-read. And again, I am enjoying it even more this time around and there's a lot I'd forgotten so it's still exciting.

 
Or Give Me Death (Ann Rinaldi)
 
Patrick Henry, the famous statesman, has a secret: He keeps his wife in the cellar. Slowly losing her mind, Sarah Henry has become a danger to herself and her children. But daughter Anne has a secret of her own: She knows which child will inherit their mother's madness.
Not a re-read! I didn't really enjoy it that much though. I loved Ann Rinaldi  as a teen and this is one that I never got around to so I was excited to find it in our tiny (I mean tiny) library. But after about 20ish pages I knew it wasn't going to drag me in. I DID enjoy the last half of the book much more than the first because I think the character that narrated that half was better/more interesting/less annoying and what have you. But yeah. Just kind of meh for me.
 
 
Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins)
 
To save spoilers I won't give much about the book. The story of Katniss continues and she is tested even more than before.
 
I really love this series. I think pretty much everyone does. It's obviously hugely popular. I don't have anything productive to add. I am glad I decided to read the series again and I enjoy it just as much if not more than the first time.
 
 
The Subtle knife (Philip Pullman)
 
A world where Specters stalk the streets and steal souls and angels share the sky, the 2nd book of His Dark Materials continues to follow Lyra and her gang while also adding Will, a desperate boy on the run.
 
His Dark Materials is one of those magical series from my childhood. I remember crying SO MUCH in the last 2 books. I think I've aged and become cynical and grumpy because I haven't cried once yet but maybe the 3rd book will get me. I can't remember ANYTHING that happens except kind of how it ends so we'll see! It should all be a surprise at least.
 
It was really slow going at first for me in The Subtle Knife. I was worried I just wasn't into the series anymore because The Golden Compass was kind of slow for the first half too. After about a fourth of the book though it started to build for me and I was getting more and more into it and once it had ended I was attached to it. It was a breathless ending. One of those ignore-everything-else-while-you-read-for-hours sort of days so that I could finish the book and find out what happens. I'm anxious to start the last one but I have 1 Harry Potter book to get through and Mockingjay before I will let myself get it from the library.
 
 
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)
 
Harry Potter is 13 now and in his 3rd year of the wizarding school Hogwarts. A maniacal murderer has escaped from the prison of Azkaban and Dementors are now swooping around Hogwarts in pursuit of the criminal. Harry is presumed safest at Hogwarts but, as always, shenanigans happen.
 
This is one of my favorite Potter books! I was excited to get to this one. Spoilers if you've never read them (I mean, what have you been doing all these years?!) but Sirius and Lupin are 2 of my very favorite characters throughout. Even knowing how it all is going to end, I just love them so much. Remus Lupin is the kind, fatherly, loving, gentle soul that this series has been needing for Harry.
 
 I just loooove this book! I love that the characters are really starting to develop and you can feel how the 3 amigos are growing up a little and getting little crushes and such. I love the storyline and the twist with the Time-Turner and I love-hate the dementors and that bit of darkness and learning more about Harry's Dad and his past and learning more about why Snape is so insufferable. It's just SO GOOD. It's so good.
 
 
 Reading has slowed down quite a bit now. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is no joke. That sucker is almost 800 pages! It might be the only book on my reading list this month, haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment