Thursday, May 7, 2015

April Reads

April started off as a great reading month and somewhere toward the middle I just lost momentum (and still haven't picked it back up yet a week into May). Some good stuff for April though!



Bloodroot (Amy Greene)- This novel is told by many voices going across many generations. From the Great Depression to today, it follows one family and the legacies that haunt them.

I loved Bloodroot. It was beautifully told, if sometimes very hard to read. It does not contain easy subjects. It's so vivid though. So alive. The story is never confusing, as it can sometimes be when told by multiple characters. Instead it is richer because it's told from so many points of view. I've already added Amy Greene's other book, Long Man, to my reading list because I enjoyed this so much.


The Giver (Lois Lowry)- Set in a perfect world of sameness with no fear or pain or choices, we meet Jonas, a 12 year old boy chosen to train with The Giver and receive the memories of the community and the truth.

I've somehow never managed to read this one. It's one of those books just about everyone reads as a kid and I know that I owned it but I guess it never called to me. This is definitely not an original idea, the utopian community, but the book still manages to be unique. I could definitely guess what was going to happen but it didn't make the book less poignant and heartbreaking. I'll be reading this to my kids at some point for sure and I already have Gathering Blue, the 2nd book in the Giver Quartet, to read this month.

 
Cinder (Marissa Meyer)- A deadly plague is spreading the population, lunar people are watching from the skies and waiting on their queen to make her move to war, humans and cyborgs coexist although cyborgs are considered second-class citizens, and in all of this mess 1 cyborg girl is the answer to everything.
 
Okay, this book was really hardcore predictable. I saw everything coming and I think pretty much anyone would. However, it was still a good read. Nice and fluffy, easy to read, not much brain power needed. I'm making it sound like it was dumbed down, which is not the case. I think this is a cool as shit idea. A CYBORG CINDERELLA. I mean. That's amazeballs. But, the plot twists were not exactly twisted. I don't know if that was intentional all along? Or what. It's good though! I liked it. I am going to read the rest in the Lunar Chronicles because I feel invested in this now and I want to know what other crazy things happen to storybook characters. A cool new makeover of a classic tale is always awesome, and this is definitely not your average Cinderella story.
 
 
Gathering Blue (Lois Lowry)
 
The 2nd book in the Giver quartet, this book follows Kira, a young girl left orphaned in a savage world that discards the weak.
 
I LOVED this. I read it as a kid but didn't remember it, and I'm sure I didn't appreciate it back then. I really did this time. I don't have a lot to say about it. It's just good stuff. I have the other 2 books of this series waiting on me in my library book and I can't wait to get to them.
 
 
Beezus and Ramona (Beverly Cleary)
 
The best example in any book ever of the little sister/big sibling relationship.
 
This was a Me & Ollie book and we had a lot of fun reading it (we are reading Ramona the Brave now, actually). He really enjoyed it, so much that he made his book report for school about it. I'm looking forward to going through all of these books with him. He really connected with Beezus on a spiritual older sibling level.
 
 
The Capture (Kathryn Lasky)
 
After being snatched from his home, the barn owlet Soren finds himself in a strange school for orphaned owls called St. Aggie's.
 
Another me & Ollie book. I wasn't a fan of this book. It seemed to take us forever go get through and it was boring to me, however, Oliver loved it and looked forward to it every night. *shrug* I don't plan on reading anymore with him though because bleh. It was really a chore for me. The ending got a little more interesting but overall, meh.
 
 
That wraps it up for April!

No comments:

Post a Comment