Tuesday, April 7, 2015

March Reads

What did I read in February?


 
 
Mockingjay (Suzanne Collins)
 
The last book of The Hunger Games trilogy. I was really looking forward to finishing up these books and once again, it lived up to my memory of it. I really just enjoy these books.
 
 
 
 
 
 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)
 
The 4th book of the Harry Potter series. Lots of shenanigans ensue, of course. It's Harry Potter. There are always shenanigans. From the 4th book on I've only read the books once and it has been abut 10 years since I read this one so it was pretty much brand new and exciting. I had forgotten a lot of it. I always love me some Potterverse.
 


 
 
 
As You Wish (Cary Elwes)
 
As You Wish is full of photos and stories from Cary Elwes' time making The Princess Bride.
 
The Princess Bride is one of my favorite books AND movies so I am a big fan and I was really excited to read this book. Husband surprised me with an AUTOGRAPHED COPY and I nearly melted into a puddle of fan girl. This book was utterly charming. It was full of lovely tales from making the film, stories of the actors that Cary worked with, so much film buff-ness. It was lovely. Just lovely. I really enjoyed it. A pretty easy, light read but so full of information and love and with such a fairytale feel. I might have cried when it was over because it was so touching. And I am a sap.
 
 
 
Stiff (Mary Roach)

Stiff explores the lives (afterlives?) of cadavers. Mary Roach tells the stories of several cadavers and their contributions to science and explores the history behind it all. Chock full of grossness and cool science.

This book is so interesting. And full of humor. I didn't really expect it to be funny but the author is witty and dry and finds humor in the weirdest places. I found myself laughing out loud a few times. That's not to say it is in any way disrespectful to the cadavers. The humor mostly focuses on the living and poking fun at people. It's so full of the science behind everything. I learned a ton. Some of it disgusting, some of it really cool, some of it a mixture of both. I never knew so much about cadavers but I have much respect now.




Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts On Life Unarmed (Glennon Doyle Melton)

I read this book, which I have been wanting to read for ages, for my first month of Blogger Book Club and it has its very own post because it's special.



The Color of Magic (Terry Pratchett)

The epic first tale of the legendary Discworld. The beginning of it all with the tourist Twoflower and his wizard guide, Rincewind.

I chose to read this book because of the death of Sir Terry Pratchett on the 12 of March. It was a big blow to the literature community. A lot of my friends were heartbroken and so was I. He was a master of parody and he will be insanely missed. The Color of Magic is re-read for me and I'm going to slowly work my way through them. I've never made it all the way through! There are A LOT. But I love this book. It's laugh out loud funny in so many places. He was able to spin a tale as complicated and intricate and beautiful as Tolkien and as funny and spontaneous and wacky as Twain. I enjoy his work so much. I already have the 2nd and 3rd books in my library bag waiting to be read.


A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle)

It was a dark and stormy night... Arguably the best beginning ever. Meg's father has vanished while experimenting with the 5th dimension of time. After 3 strange creatures show up and whisk her off along with her brother, Charles Wallace, and a boy from school, Calvin, they attempt to rescue him. It's dangerous, dark and heart-stopping.

This was mine and the first born's major book this month. I, along with a big chunk of the population, read and loved this book as a kid. When Ollie picked it up off the shelf and chose it as his next book to snuggle up and read together at night, I was ecstatic. That is not an exaggeration. I think overall he enjoyed it but it is definitely long and full of big words and I had to explain a lot of it to him. I think it's a fun read for discussions, which we've had plenty of. It's also just one of the best books ever, in my opinion. Also, that author name. Best ever? Or at least top 5? I'll always look back on reading this out loud with him and get the warm and fuzzies though. It's a gorgeous read. Full of mind-numbingly beautiful words and imagery and fantastical, hair-raising, heart pounding adventures.

That concludes March! It's been a good one. Every month my list of books I want to read grows bigger and bigger. Making a goal of reading this year is the best decision ever and also Goodreads is like my favorite thing ever. I love lists and having a place where I can track my books and see my goal and a list of books I've read? This list makin' Mama is in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment