Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Fruity Cheese Cake Cookie Bowls

No WIPs Wednesday today because it's the same as last week. Just working on blankets. So many granny squares.

Instead we will have a recipe!

So I have a preggers BFF and we were meeting up for some stitchin' and bitchin' and I wanted to make her something yummy. She'd been craving creamy and fruity things so I whipped up a fun little dessert for us. Sugar cookie bowls with cream cheese filling and fresh fruit topping.


I dig it. I dig it a lot.

Here's what you need-

- store bought (or homemade) sugar cookie dough
- 1 12oz package of cream cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cups of powdered sugar (possibly a smidge more)
- 1 tablespoon  vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon/orange juice
- fresh fruit of your choice (I used blueberries, strawberries and kiwi)

Alrighty, so this is easy peasy but I'm going to also tell you what I would do differently.

You want to make sugar cookie bowls. I used store bought dough rolls that I cut into 12 circular pieces. I rolled them out a smidge and then I used a muffin pan flipped over on it's back. I smooshed the sugar cookies on to the bottom of the pan to make little bowl shapes and baked it off.

 
I don't have a photo of the crazy mess that followed but lesson learned! Basically it all melted into a gooey mess. I was able to cut my cookie shapes out of it but just barely. Some of them broke into pieces. Wah. So next time I will try the method of using the inside of the muffin pan to make my bowls and hopefully won't be stuck scraping cookie off of a pan for 10 minutes.
 
The rest is as easy as it gets. Just mix up your cream cheese, vanilla and citrus juice until smooth then add your powdered sugar and blend until it'll all mixed up. You might want to add more sugar depending on the texture and thickness you want for your cheese cake filling.
 
Plop some of that yummy cheese cake mixture in each little sugar cookie bowl after they have cooled down and then add your fruit! We used strawberries, blueberries and kiwi because the kids love all of those. I also thought of adding pineapple and I think raspberries would be deliciousssss but our store was out them. It will be fun to play around with fruit combos and some up with some fun seasonal stuff in the spring and summer. This isn't something you want to make ahead of time because it gets gooey after a while and the sugar cookie starts to melt from the moisture of the cheese cake filling. But if you prepare it all ahead of time it only takes a minute to throw together!
 
 
So yummy. So pretty. They were a huge hit with husband and the kids and my pregnant friend! I'll definitely be making them a lot over the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment